If you are planning to clean out the clutter from your home, organizing a garage sale is the one way to do that and make a good amount of cash. If you have a number of things to sell, it’s a good idea to run a garage sale. The success of the sale depends, to a large degree, on the amount of prep you put into it, the manner in which the products are laid out and the pricing of those products with reference to the condition they are in.
If you have never had a garage sale in the past, and want to know what the best way to go about it is, read on:
1. Pick the Date
This is the very first step to planning a garage sale. Most people opt to have garage sales on Friday & Saturday mornings; however, if you are having a multi-day sale, you can add Thursday and Sunday to it as well. If you start early, you’ll get a much larger crowd as people prefer to saunter into garage sales at the start of the day, rather than disrupt their day’s schedule for it. It’s also a good idea to hold the garage sale when the weather is moderate; that will give you a better success rate.
2. Gather all the Items
Be thorough when you are de-cluttering and gathering items from the different areas in your house for the garage sale. Move through every room and pick up things that haven’t been used in months, or things you don’t want or need. Go through the basement, garage, attic and closets- you are sure to find a number of things to be discarded, from these rooms as well.
3. Check on Permits
A number of municipalities now require that you get a permit to have a garage sale. Check with the local council on whether you need one. If it is a requirement, don’t attempt to run the garage sale without it, as the authorities may end up fining you or shutting down the sale.
4. Advertising Matters
When you are planning on running a garage sale, you put in a lot of time and effort into it; this also means you want a maximum number of people to walk in and make purchases. If you want your garage sale to be successful, you need to plan the advertising aspect well. The different ways in which you can advertise include:
- Post an ad in your local newspaper
- Advertise on Craigslist
- Advertise on sites such as Garage Sale Source, Yard Sale Search, Garage Sale Hunter and Yard Hopper
- Social media sites
- Make Yard Sale Signs and place them at strategic locations in your neighborhood.
Spruce-Up the Garage
Last but not the least:
- Clean up the garage space.
- Clear all the clutter and place tables at a good distance from each other.
- Ensure that there are chairs and a table for you- this is the place where you will take payments.
- There should be sufficient space to display the goods.
- You don’t have to hire any tables for displaying the items. Simply use your patio furniture or any other light tables from the indoor areas of your home.
- If you have milk crates, you can cover them with tablecloths and use them to display smaller items.
- Add proper price tags to every item and you can color code the tags based on the categories
A garage sale involves a significant amount of work and having a detailed plan and following these tips will help you make a success of it.