The Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association and the International Door Association have named June as garage door safety month. This makes it the perfect time to increase the safety awareness related to garage doors.
The IDA and all dealers associated with the organization exert efforts to increase awareness of all the potential risks of automatic garage door openers and garage doors overall. We at Marantec encourage clients to maintain the safety of their doors, by inspecting them regularly and getting problems fixed before they escalate and get out of control.
Some facts about garage door safety
- Each year, about 30,000 people suffer injuries in garage door-related accidents. Some of these accidents can prove to be fatal and these are highly preventable.
- On average, people open & close their garage doors about 6 times each day, amounting to a considerable movement which can result in a lot of wear and tear and deterioration over time.
- In 1993, the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) required that all automatic garage door systems have an automatic off or reversing system. With external photo-eye entrapment protection installed properly, the overall instances of child entrapment have come down to almost zero.
- Regular maintenance is crucial to the safe and efficient working of your garage door and isn’t something you can afford to overlook or defer.
Aspects to focus on
While it’s a good idea to get regular garage door maintenance done by professionals, there are some things you too should focus on, ensuring the safety of your garage door:
- Make sure that door opener systems are out of sight and not accessible to kids. It's never a good idea to leave the remote lying around where kids can reach and play with it. This could result in some serious accidents.
- Familiarize yourself with the emergency function on your garage door. Read the user manual occasionally so you don’t forget what needs to be done in case of an accident or emergency.
- Inspect your garage door installation every month to check whether there is any deterioration or damage to its components.
- If you notice a problem, call your garage door dealer without delay.
- Each month, check the system’s auto-reverse feature; it should be functional at all times.
- Always keep the door completely closed. This helps prevent injuries and keeps intruders away from your property.
- When going on vacation, unplug the unit completely. Contact your dealer to activate the lock security console feature. This ensures that remote will be blocked for the duration of your absence from home. You can unlock it on your return.
- It's important to keep handy the contact details of experienced garage door service professionals to contact for regular maintenance and inspection of the feature. Always hire reputed and reliable professionals that will be able to cater to your needs at a reasonable cost.
Contact the experts
We at Marantec always encourage customers to focus on garage door safety as much as any other feature or system in their home. Look for a good garage door services company that understands your needs and provides excellent service. This approach will help ensure that your doors are always in peak operational condition.
You can find a great contractor through our website’s dealer list. If you have any questions or need to know more about garage door installations, you can call 847-478-1500. If you need to find a Marantec dealer, you can call our customer service line on 1-888-622-2486. You can also contact us by filling in one of these contact us forms and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.